Stuff You Need to Know
Need service hours? There are a lot of great opportunities to get outdoors and enjoy the last bit of warm weather while volunteering:
- The City of Hometown is hosting their weekly car show Wednesday evenings
- The Oak Lawn Park District and Lake Katherine Nature Preserve are each hosting Monarch Festivals this weekend
- Get out and help clean up in one of the local forest preserves
Information about these projects and more can be found on the Service Learning calendar, accessible on the OLCHS website and/or your Seminar iTunes U course.
OLCHS will be offering the PSAT test on Wednesday, October 16th. This is a great opportunity to practice for the SAT test. Registration is now open for all Juniors and Sophomores. Interested students should come with the $16 registration fee to the Student Services Office by September 17th.
Hello Spartans, and welcome to College & Career Week 2019! Here is a list of activities we have going throughout this week:
- College & Career scavenger hunt: opens Monday 9/9 and entries are due by the end of the day Thursday 9/12. Participating students who submit a full “game board” will be entered to win prizes! Game boards can be picked up outside the door of Student Services Office 117.
- Spartan Plus sessions: (filter Student Services à Kenny)
- College Coffee Talk – join Mrs. Kenny for refreshments and a casual Q&A about the college process!
- Scholarship Workshop – Where do I look for scholarships? How do I apply? Join Mrs. Kenny for an overview of scholarships
- Creating an FSA ID – Mrs. Kenny will walk you through the process of setting up the FSA ID. NOTE – students MUST know their social security number in order to successfully complete this process.
- College & Career Fair – Thursday 9/12/19, 6:00 – 8:00 pm in the Student Cafeteria: Come meet with reps from colleges, universities, union apprenticeship programs, military branches and local industry leaders and hear about your options after graduating from OLCHS! A list of participating reps are posted in the hallways.
Peer Mediation: Want to help your peers resolve their conflicts? It’s not too late to sign up to be a Peer Mediator!! See Mrs. Yawer in the Guidance Office (Room 117) to find out how!